You may apply for entry to Hong Kong under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS).  It is a quota-based scheme to attract highly skilled and talented people to come to add to Hong Kong’s competitiveness.  There is a General Points Test and an applicant must earn a score above the passing score. There is no need to secure an offer of employment in Hong Kong before applying.

Applicants under 2 special categories will automatically attract full marks.  The first category is for recipients of an award of exceptional achievement.  Examples include Olympic medals, Nobel prize or other national/international awards.  The second category is for those with or significant contribution to the development of their field.  This include lifetime achievement award from the industry.

For general applicants, there are 6 factors for scoring marks.  They are : age, academic/professional qualifications, work experience, language proficiency, family background and relevance to Hong Kong’s demand for talents. 

A passing score does not automatically result in issuing of a QMAS visa.  A committee will short-list high scoring applications for assessment.  Successful applications will be allotted a quota and issued an Approval-in-principle letter.  They then have to Hong Kong as a visitor for an interview with the originals of their submitted documents.  A QMAS visa will be issued after the completion of necessary procedures and verification of original documents.

You must provide proof of financial strength in supporting and accommodating yourself and, if any, your dependants during your stay.  Such include assets in the form of bank deposits, real estate, securities or interests in privately owned business.  You must also be proficient in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English.  You must not have any criminal record.

QMAS visa does not apply to nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Nepal and Vietnam.

You can submit your QMAS application outside Hong Kong.  Upon a successful application, you will get your quota and receive an Approval-in-principle letter. You then have to Hong Kong as a visitor for an interview with the originals of your submitted documents. 

You may apply for your spouse or lawful domestic partner (same-sex or opposite-sex) and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18.  After they come to Hong Kong under the scheme, you will be their sponsors.  

Initial stay of 36 months upon entry.  You will then need to apply for extension application.  You must provide evidence that you have taken reasonable steps for settling and residing in Hong Kong.  Besides, you must prove your contribution to Hong Kong through employment at a senior level or establishment of a business of reasonable size.  After having ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of 7 years, you may apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong.

Please subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about FastLane HR's latest human resources and payroll updates