Chinese residents of the Mainland who possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong may apply to come to work in Hong Kong under the Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP).

Besides possessing special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong, you must have a job offer from a Hong Kong company.  Approval is entirely discretionary by the Immigration Department.  However, some favourable criteria include:

  • No security objection or known record of serious crime; and
  • Good education background, normally a first degree in relevant field.  But, in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, relevant experience and achievements may do; and
  • A confirmed offer of employment relevant to academic qualifications or work experience; and
  • A genuine vacancy that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and
  • A remuneration package broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in Hong Kong

An initial stay of 36 months, or in accordance with the duration of the employment contract (whichever is shorter), upon entry.  Afterwards, you may apply for an extension within 4 weeks before expiry.  With subsequent successful extensions, you will normally be permitted to stay on a 3-2 years pattern, or for the duration of employment contract (whichever is shorter).  

For any change in employment, prior approval from the Director of Immigration must be sought.

Yes, you may apply (in your visa application or subsequently) to bring in your spouse or lawful domestic partner (same-sex or opposite-sex) and unmarried dependant children under the age of 18 to Hong Kong.  Some restrictions on applicant’s nationality apply.

After obtaining dependant visa, your family members can study and take up employment in Hong Kong without any need for prior approval.

Provided that you return within your permitted period of stay and the circumstances pertaining to your successful ASMTP application remain unchanged, you do not require a re-entry visa/entry permit to re-enter Hong Kong.

Persons admitted under the ASMTP who have ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years may apply for the right of abode in Hong Kong.

Upon receipt of all required documents, it normally takes four weeks to process an application.

Please subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about FastLane HR's latest human resources and payroll updates